Maharashtra Prohibition of Ragging Act, 1999
Some excerpts from it are as follows:
1. Ragging means display of disorderly conduct, doing of any act which causes or is likely to cause physical or psychological harm or raise apprehension or fear or shame or embarrassment to a student in any educational institution and includes:
i) Teasing, abusing, threatening or playing practical jokes on, or causing hurt to such student or
ii) Asking a student to do any act or perform something which such student will not in the ordinary course willingly do.
2. Ragging within or outside of any educational institution is prohibited.
3. Whoever directly or indirectly commits, participates in, abets or propagates ragging within or outside any educational institution, shall, on conviction, be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to two years and shall also be liable to a fine which may extend to Rs.10,000.
4. Any student convicted of an offence under section 4 shall be dismissed from the educational institution and such student shall not be admitted in any other educational institution for a period of five years from the date of order of such dismissal.
5. Whenever any student or, as the case may be, the parent or guardian, or a teacher of an educational institution complains, in writing, of ragging to the head of the educational institution, the head of that educational institution shall, without prejudice to the foregoing provisions, within seven days of the receipt of the complaint, enquire into the complaint, enquire into the matter mentioned in the complaint and if, prima facie, it is found true, suspend the student who is accused of the offence, and shall immediately forward the complaint to the police station having jurisdiction over the area ....... for further action.
6. If the head of the educational institution fails or neglects to take action in the manner specified in section 6 when a complaint of ragging is made, such person shall be deemed to have abetted the offence of ragging and shall, on conviction, be punished as provided for in section 4.
Following are Anti-Ragging Committee Members
Anti-Ragging Measures at Symbiosis International University
Ragging is totally prohibited in Symbiosis International University and in its Constituent Institutes and anyone found guilty of ragging and/or abetting ragging whether actively or passively, or being a part of conspiracy to promote ragging, is liable to be punished in accordance with UGC Regulations 2009 as well as under the provisions of any penal law for the time being in force.
As per UGC Regulations on curbing the menace of Ragging in Higher Educational Institutions, 2009, Ragging constitutes one or more of any of following acts:
- Any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student
- Indulging in rowdy or indiscipline activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student
- Asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student
- Any act by senior student that prevents, disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activity of any other student or a fresher
- Exploiting the service of a fresher or any other student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or agroup of students
- Any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by students
- Any act of physical abuse including all variants of it: sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person
- Any act or abuse by spoken words, email, post, public insults which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill from activity or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student
- Any act that affects the mental health and self-confidence of a fresher or any other studentwith or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over any fresher or any other student.
Symbiosis International University ensures that the congenial and welcoming environment is given to the freshers in its all constituent institutes. To achieve this objective following committees have been formed by the University as per UGC Regulation 2009:
- University Anti Ragging Committee
- Anti-Ragging Squad at Institute level
- University Monitoring Cell
- Mentoring Cell will be constituted by all the constituent
Institutes of the University at the end of each academic